The Citizenship Safety Project is a cross-age peer tutoring programme. It is aimed at year 10 pupils (14 and 15 year olds) who prepare and teach a lesson on one aspect of safety and risk awareness to year 2 pupils (6 and 7 year olds) but can be adapted for other age groups.
The project has been produced to run over 10 sessions for 45 minutes per session.
It is primarily suited for those young people who are interested in working with children but will be of value to any student.
By taking part in the project the young people will:
- Be actively involved in a community project
- Increase their confidence and self-esteem
- Improve their communication and presentation skills
- Increase their understanding of younger children
- Enhance their own risk awareness
Benefits to year 10 pupils
There is little more rewarding than knowing you have made a difference in other peoples lives
Year 10 pupils will be able to:
- Research and identify risk and injury information
- Investigate learning opportunities and behaviour in six year old children
- Research and prepare appropriate learning materials
- Gain an insight into the rewards and challenges of teaching as a career
- Acquire empathy for the needs of others
- Develop teaching and presentation skills
- Develop project writing skills
- Develop self-evaluation skills
Benefits to year 2 pupils
Year 2 pupils will:
- Learn about an aspect of safety from someone they are likely to listen to – their peers
- Receive a practical lesson in safety awareness
- Benefit from interaction with older children in a learning environment
Taking part in Citizenship Safety
The Citizenship Safety Project is available to buy on CD for £30. Includes everything needed to run a ten-week citizenship project on accident prevention:
- Resource book with lesson plans, teachers notes, resource materials and worksheets
- Video clips showing teachers working with year 2’s
- Presentation about the project including photographs showing it in action
- Links to websites
- Editable word documents
To place your order, please contact the I.M.P.S. team.
Want the I.M.P.S. team to run the project for you? Please contact your nearest centre.