I.M.P.S. is an injury prevention education programme delivered to 10 and 11-year olds jointly in the school and local hospital emergency departments.
I.M.P.S. empowers young people to take personal responsibility for their own risk management and equips them with the skills to cope in an emergency situation.
The programme equips children with first aid and resuscitation skills, helping them to respond effectively if an incident occurs.I.M.P.S. is divided into 3 elements:
* Not available from all licensed I.M.P.S. centres, some centres provide the practical element within the school setting – see where we work for more information.
Classroom resources are provided to every school enrolled on the programme. This includes lessons on injury prevention and taking safer risks linked to key stage 2 targets and guidelines of the national curriculum. The resources can be downloaded from the schools platform area of the website. Please contact us to request the log in details
Schools can access all on line resources by becoming an affiliated I.M.P.S. School. Contact Oxfordshire I.M.P.S. for more details.Go to top
Each group of children visit the local accident and emergency hospital accompanied by their teacher and 3 other adult helpers from school. The visit includes:
- A tour of the emergency department, which allows children to experience many of the concepts learnt in the classroom when applied to the real world.
- A session using an interactive DVD where children are taught the principles of first aid and injury minimisation.
- A session in which children are taught the principles of emergency life support including the use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and how to put an unconscious casualty in the recovery position.
When the children return to school there are a number of lessons and activities to consolidate what they have learnt. Click on the links below:
- Follow Up Lessons (pdf; 327.0 KB)
- Recovery Position (pdf; 86.5 KB)
- Online evaluation quiz (the children are asked to repeat the quiz using log in details provided following the I.M.P.S. visit)
- Emergency department computer resource (login required)
Please contact your nearest centre for details on how your school can take part in the I.M.P.S. programme.
If your school is not close to an existing I.M.P.S. centre, please contact Oxfordshire I.M.P.S. to discuss our affiliated schools package.
The I.M.P.S. online resources contain over 50 lessons on all aspects of injury prevention covering:
- Personal safety
- Home safety
- Road safety
- Sport and Leisure safety
- Resuscitation science