A few statistics….
- Accidents are the most common cause of death in young people.
- On average 5 children die every week in accidents.
- In every class of 30 children, two of these can expect to be injured in a road accident before their sixteenth birthday.
- Every year around 10,000 children are permanently disabled as a result of accidents.
- Accidents kill 3 children in every 100,000 each year – a similar rate to cancer.
- 2 million children attend A&E each year due to accidents that may have been prevented.
- More than 100 children and young people under the age of 15 attend A&E each day in the UK with a scald or burn injury.
Our educational programmes and resources aim to minimise the number of accidents that lead to death or disability.