Core I.M.P.S. Programme
I.M.P.S. is an injury prevention education programme delivered to 10 and 11-year olds jointly in the school and local hospital emergency departments.
“I.M.P.S. empowers young people to take personal responsibility for their own risk management and equips them with the skills to cope in an emergency situation.”
I.M.P.S. equips children with first aid and resuscitation skills, helping them to respond effectively if an incident occurs. I.M.P.S. is divided into 3 elements:
* Currently all hospital visits have been suspended and will recommence when it is safe and appropriate. All teaching is now delivered directly into the school.
You can download more information about I.M.P.S. below:
Classroom resources are provided to every school enrolled on the programme. This includes lessons on injury prevention and taking safer risks linked to key stage 2 targets and guidelines of the national curriculum. The resources can be accessed from the For Teachers area of the website. Please contact us to request the log in details
Schools that are not in an I.M.P.S. area can access all on line resources by becoming an affiliated I.M.P.S. School.Go to top
The programme is now being taught in school by I.M.P.S. trainers for the foreseeable future.
Each group of children visit the local accident and emergency hospital accompanied by their teacher and 3 other adult helpers from school. The visit includes:
- A tour of the emergency department, which allows children to experience many of the concepts learnt in the classroom when applied to the real world.
- A session using an interactive DVD where children are taught the principles of first aid and injury minimisation.
- A session in which children are taught the principles of emergency life support including the use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and how to put an unconscious casualty in the recovery position.
When the children return to school there are a number of lessons and activities to consolidate what they have learnt. Click on the links below:
- You may prefer a flip book which you can download with this link.
- Online evaluation quiz (the children are asked to repeat the quiz using log in details provided following the I.M.P.S. visit)
- Visit a virtual emergency department (login required)
I.M.P.S. runs in Oxfordshire only. For schools out of this area, please consider our affiliated schools package. You can download further information below:
Special needs schools
We can provide a custom special needs programme and visit to suit the students needs. We find that in most cases, older special needs students benefit more from the programme and we can deliver a bespoke practical element to 15 & 16 year old students.
Contact us by email to discuss your requirements.
The I.M.P.S. online resources contain over 50 lessons on all aspects of injury prevention covering:
- Personal safety
- Home safety
- Road safety
- Sport and Leisure safety
- Resuscitation science
A resource for students with special needs can also be accessed from the for teachers area of the website.